Hemorrhoids, also known as piles, are pains in the butt that are very painful and bothersome. More specifically, hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins found around the rectum and anus. They are caused by forceful straining during defecation and leads to itching and burning sensations and, consequently bleeding. Due to the usual discomfort attached to this condition, those who suffer from hemorrhoids always seek a suitable and permanent treatment.
Pregnancy makes you more susceptible to hemorrhoids for several reasons. Your growing uterus puts pressure on the pelvic veins and the inferior vena cava, a large vein on the right side of the body that gets blood from the lower legs. This can slow down the return of blood from the lower half of your body, which increases the pressure on the veins below your uterus and leads to them to dilate or swell. Constipation is another common problem during pregnancy and can also lead to hemorrhoids or make them worse. The straining during constipation can lead to or aggravate hemorrhoids. Furthermore, your increased progesterone during pregnancy causes your veins to swell. Hemorrhoids during pregnancy usually go away soon after you give birth but may return again later.
Hemorrhoids are not only caused by straining during a bowel movement but can also be caused by obesity and childbirth. Individuals who live a sedentary lifestyle, eat unhealthy food, or suffer from constipation are liable to develop this condition. Due to the fact that hemorrhoids are uncomfortable, relief and improved comfort is the principal goal of most hemorrhoid treatments. There are several treatments that are available and range from simple to complex.
Below are some natural hemorrhoid treatments that have been proven to relieve the pains and discomfort of the condition. If you’re pregnant with hemorrhoids this list will help you. There are other treatments for hemorrhoids further down on my blog.
- Use a warm bath to ease the symptoms of hemorrhoids. You can as use a warm sitz bath to reduce the effects of the symptoms. To do this, you are required to sit in warm water in a tub for about 10 – 15 minutes. Please note that hot or boiling water is not advisable as it will cause further injuries to your body.
- Essential oils are another useful substance. Blend 2 drops of lavender with one ounce of carrier oil and add a single drop of geranium essential oils. This mixture can be used after your sitz bath or after you have your bowel movements.
- In case you are experiencing swelling hemorrhoids, you can apply an ice pack to reduce the swelling. This will force a contraction of the blood vessels and consequently relieve the swelling.
- Another natural product that should be considered is aloe vera as it brings a soothing effect. Petroleum jelly can also be applied to the affected area. These are useful as they provide moisture to the cracked and dry areas.
- Before a bowel movement, it is also encouraged to apply a lubricant initially to ensure that the muscles will not be injured which can increase the pains caused by hemorrhoids.
- A very important treatment of hemorrhoids is to improve your daily diet. Your diet should comprise of healthy foods as much as possible such as fruits, vegetables, and nuts and seeds as these products are rich in fiber.
- Introduce some apple cider to your diet. This will help you in the digestion process and ensure adequate transit of your bowels.
- Together with an increased fiber intake, you should increase your water intake to ensure that stools are softer. Softer stools will mean that straining will be reduced and decrease the risk of hemorrhoid development.
- As much as possible, avoid sitting for a long period of time as it adds to the development of hemorrhoids. For those working in offices who are liable to sitting for a longer period of time, it is advisable to go for a few walk during breaks or periods with lesser work to ensure that good circulation is promoted and prevents the condition from occurring once again.
- Be sure to clean the affected area gently but thoroughly with a soft wipe. Make sure it’s not scented. You can also buy wipes moistened with witch hazel, specifically for treating hemorrhoids.
- Also, the use of donut pillow is another better way to control hemorrhoids. The pillow is designed in such a way that it enhances your comfort and as well helps to control the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
According to the old saying “prevention is ultimately better than cure,” hemorrhoids can be prevented to a greater extent by regular exercise and eating a balanced diet. Also, try to avoid surgery as much as possible. When it comes to treatment, natural hemorrhoids treatments are very easy, inexpensive and effective.
How to prevent hemorrhoids
To prevent hemorrhoids you should be getting enough fiber in your diet. Be sure to eat lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Whole grains are high in fiber but also cause swelling and weight gain.
When you feel the need to have a bowel movement you should go right away, don’t wait. When you’re done you should get up as soon as possible. Don’t sit any longer than you need to. Sitting on the toilet puts pressure on your rectal area, which may lead to hemorrhoids.
This works during and after!